Star-studded field announced for 2026 Nedbank Golf Challenge in honour of Gary Player
- Sunshine Tour

- 1 hour ago
- 6 min read

Justin Rose, Bryson DeChambeau, defending champion Kristoffer Reitan, Casey Jarvis and Marco Penge have been announced as the first five players in a star-studded field for the 2026 Nedbank Golf Challenge in honour of Gary Player.
The first five stars of this iconic DP World Tour event, to be played from 3-6 December 2026 at the Gary Player Country Club and the most significant course changes in the tournament’s history were announced at Sun City on Tuesday.
England’s Rose, the highest ranked at 12 in the world, returns to a tournament where he finished second in 2007 and amidst a year in which he won on the PGA TOUR, challenged for The Masters and finished in the top 11 in three of the four Majors.
“I’m pleased to be able to add the Nedbank Golf Challenge to my schedule this year. I’m excited to get back to South Africa – where I have so many family and friends – for what is always a fantastic event in a stunning location.
“I know the tournament has such supportive partners in Nedbank and Sun International and it’s even more special that it’s held in honour of Mr Player, so I’m very much looking forward to getting back to ‘Africa’s Major’ in December,” said Rose.
American DeChambeau will make his debut in “Africa’s Major” and is seeking a unique personal record in this event.
“South Africa has given so much to the game of golf and so has Mr Player. Gary Player is such a force for good and that inspires me. It’s an honour for me to play in South Africa again, a country I really enjoy. I’ve been privileged to have won Jack Nicklaus’s tournament (The Memorial) and Arnold Palmer’s tournament (the Arnold Palmer Invitational), and now I want to win Gary Player’s tournament and I can’t wait to play in the Nedbank Golf Challenge,” said DeChambeau.

Reitan will be back as part of his quest to become the eighth player in history to successfully defend his title after winning by a single shot last year.
“Winning the Nedbank Golf Challenge last year was an incredible feeling. Sunday was a little nervy at times but I was proud of the way I kept going to get the job done and round off what was an amazing week. My thanks go to Nedbank, Sun International, and Mr Player for helping to create such a memorable event and I can’t wait to get back to Gary Player Country Club to defend my title this December,” Reitan said.
The two Major champions and Ryder Cup stars and the defending champion headline a strong opening group of players for the 44th edition of the Nedbank Golf Challenge in honour of Gary Player.
South Africa’s Jarvis makes his debut as one of the rising young stars in the game following back-to-back victories on the DP World Tour, making him the joint youngest winner on the Tour so far this season. The 23-year-old heads to Sun City following a career-high tied sixth in The Open at Royal Birkdale this year.
Penge will make his second appearance at the Nedbank Golf Challenge following his debut at Sun City last December, which came at the end of a year in which he triumphed three times on the DP World Tour, earned dual membership on the PGA TOUR and was named winner of The Seve Ballesteros Players’ Player of the Year Award for 2025.

The Gary Player Country Club golf course has undergone the most significant enhancements in its history ahead of the event and as part of Sun International’s extensive investment into this iconic layout.
The first five players announced will join the rest of this year’s world-class field on a golf course that will now feature an entirely new par-four first hole and a new dedicated practice range amongst the most significant enhancements made.
The new 470-metre par-four first hole has been constructed parallel to the original first but higher up along the bottom reaches of the mountainside on the left. A new practice range has been constructed on the site of the original first hole and which the golf course has never had before. There will also be a new practice putting and chipping green behind the practice range tees.
Several other enhancements have also been made to the golf course, including:
New professional tees on the third, sixth, eighth, 10th, 14th and 15th holes.
All of the greenside bunkers are being refurbished with Bunker Armour.
A new greenside bunker has been constructed on the eighth hole.
A new fairway bunker complex on hole 13.
A new bunker to the right of the 14th fairway.
The dam alongside the second hole has been enlarged.
A new spectator viewing area has been created between the seventh and 12th greens.
New walkways through the natural bushveld linking the greens to the new professional tees.
A more open approach for the second shot to the left of the ninth fairway to allow the players to see more of the waterfall and the far left pin position.

In announcing the golf course changes and the strong opening contingent of players, Player said this marked a significant moment in the history of both the course and the championship.
“The Nedbank Golf Challenge has stood the test of time because of its ability to always attract the world’s best golfers of their generation to a course that continually evolves and remains challenging for these professionals. These latest changes are part of this vision. I’m excited that we could make these enhancements to the golf course and for the incredible support of this process from Sun International and Nedbank. At the same time, for us to also be able to announce such a strong first group of players means we’re looking forward to one of the most thrilling editions in the history of this great tournament.”
According to Sam Sithole, Chairman of Sun International, the enhancements to the Gary Player Country Club are set to place one of the world’s most iconic courses in a true league of its own that will elevate its status as the jewel in Sun International’s golf offering.
“The Nedbank Golf Challenge occupies a special place in South Africa’s sporting landscape and remains one of the country’s premier international events. The first five world-class players announced reinforces the tournament’s standing as a respected global competition that continues to attract world-class talent. Bryson DeChambeau is a unique, one-of-a-kind golfer whose connection and impact on fans the world over is unparalleled – his presence will make it a special NGC for all our patrons’ experience this year.
“Its success over more than 40 years is a reflection of the enduring partnerships and shared vision that have sustained it through generations. Together with Gary Player, Nedbank and our partners, we remain focused on ensuring the tournament continues to inspire future golfers, contribute to South Africa’s sporting legacy and strengthen its reputation on the world stage.”

Jason Quinn, Chief Executive, Nedbank Group, praised both the field and an evolving Gary Player Country Club course as a bold step forward for one of world golf’s premier tournaments.
“We are proud to continue building on the legacy of the Nedbank Golf Challenge – a tournament that showcases world-class golf and reflects our commitment to excellence. The enhancements to the Gary Player Country Club course ensure that this iconic event continues to evolve while delivering a premium experience for players, fans and partners alike.”
Ulrik Bengtsson, Chief Executive Officer, Sun International, said the 2026 Nedbank Golf Challenge was set to deliver another unrivalled sports and entertainment offering, and which once again will carry the wonders of Sun City to a global audience.
“The Nedbank Golf Challenge remains one of the most distinctive events in world golf, combining elite competition with the unique setting and hospitality that have made Sun City a destination synonymous with the game. The first five stars announced highlights the tournament’s continued ability to attract leading global players and captivate audiences around the world.
“For Sun International, hosting the Nedbank Golf Challenge is both a privilege and a responsibility. We are committed to continually enhancing the experience for players, fans and visitors while honouring the rich heritage that has defined this tournament for over four decades. The event continues to showcase the very best of Sun City and South African hospitality to a global audience.”
Ben Cowen, DP World Tour Chief Tournament and Operations Officer, said: “The Nedbank Golf Challenge has always been an event that our players enjoy coming to and the recent changes have further enhanced what is a wonderful venue ahead of the 44th edition. We thank Gary Player for his vision and once again look forward to working with Nedbank and Sun International as we welcome another fantastic field to the Gary Player Country Club for what will no doubt be another memorable edition of the event this December.”





Comments